Thursday, November 6, 2008

Power to the pedal

So on Tuesday I was in a pedaling study at UT conducted by Ann Newstead, it was pretty awesome. Her team put all these little marble sized reflective balls on me, which were picked up by a dozen or so high speed infra-red cameras placed all around the room. They shaved and placed electrodes all over the lower right side of my body. I spun a stationary bike using clipless pedals attached to power meters. Pretty trick!

(There was a picture taken, I'll try to get it, it will go here)

The first test was max power, I pedaled as hard and as fast as I could for five seconds from a stand still under a medium(3-4kg?) load, I was to do this six times. My first try I peaked around 1,100 watts, Ann seemed impressed and told me so, she said that I was probably going to peak higher than she had seen through "a lot" of testing, which was ~1,200 watts. I didn't believe her, I told her that she was probably just trying to make me feel good, she insisted otherwise. My second test peaked around 1,200. The excitement of the assistants then made me think perhaps I was doing alright. By the sixth test I was still improving so we did about four more until my power plateaued. I finely hit my max power of 1,360 watts spinning a 136 cadence at the peak.

I then just spun 15 second intervals holding steady cadences at 60, 90, and 120 rpms. All tests were repeated six times. Each time they would record a bunch of data and monitor my heart rate and ask me my preserved level of exertion. Pretty easy, then Ann wrote me a check, gave me candy, and sent me on my way!

I just read this, which says an average cyclist produces ~800 watts where as pro cyclist top out at 1,700watts!

So, anyone know their max power? I'd like to know real life numbers.

1 comment:

one Les car said...

i wonder what mine would have been before my accident, and after my accident.